Orveon is a new kind of beauty company launched in December 2021 as the result of acquiring three unique brands - bareMinerals, BUXOM, and Laura Mercier. With 1,600 employees in 22 countries, we're a truly global business with a presence in all key geographies. Our headquarters are in New York, with additional locations in major cities worldwide. We are backed by Advent International, one of the world's largest and most successful private equity firms, well known for their investments in Lululemon and Olaplex.
We are embarking on a powerful shift: To change how the world thinks about beauty. We are a collective of premium and prestige beauty brands committed to stark honesty, co-creation, and making a sustainable cultural impact. We are looking for the best talent to join us on that journey. Let's face forward together!
About the Role
The Packaging Engineer supports new product launches and product line maintenance across multiple brands from design brief to production execution as well as management of post launch quality or line maintenance.
The Engineer is a member of the launch team leading Packaging efforts and ensuring all technical aspects (pack sourcing, drawing approval, package testing, line trials, artwork validation and packaging data creation) conform with the Quality process.
The Engineer is responsible for driving their projects and soliciting other team members to ensure the required packaging tasks are performed in a timely manner. The Engineer will collaborate with cross-functional internal partners (New Product Development, Procurement, Product Development, Marketing, and Creative) and external partners (contract manufacturers & component vendors) to drive a successful launch. In addition to the above, the engineer will also drive continuous improvement with component and packaging vendors in order to drive year-over-year COGS efficiency.
- End-to-end development and engineering of packaging (custom tool and/or stock) for multiple concurrent projects of varying levels of complexity.
- Foster strong relationships and collaborate with Project Management, Product Development, Marketing, and Creative, to drive a successful launch (on time, on cost, with quality).
- Search for and implement stock packaging or manage custom built packaging per Marketing brief and conception.
- Review and approve technical engineering drawings for component assemblies.
- Develop secondary packaging per Creative design turnovers to facilitate dieline and CAD structure submissions and subsequently drive approval with brand.
- Responsible for providing artwork assets (e.g. dielines, fill weight, component codes), approving Packaging-related aspects of artwork routing process, and managing proof approval prior to production release of component.
- Facilitate package color development starting with Creative color target, utilizing rounds of color submissions per component/project timeline, driving an approval with brand, and finally establishing a color rangeboard for subsequent productions.
- Create/update BOMs (Bill of Materials) for new/existing products to support a variety of situations (e.g. new launch, artwork updates, material changes, packout improvements).
- Ensure all the required testing parameters are accurately performed for package development to mitigate risk in product launch and further consumer use.
- Oversee the review, approval, and validation of packout proposals from vendor, and subsequently retrieve pallet patterns from internal or external manufacturing sites.
- Collaborate with component vendors and product manufacturers to develop and issue specifications for components and finished goods (fill & assembly) per developments, BOM, test results, and brand approvals.
- Attend line trials and production start-ups as needed.
- Additional duties and responsibilities as deemed appropriate by the Head of Packaging, as required and necessary to support the workflow of the department.
- Manage numerous launch projects of varying complexity with limited supervision.
- Resolve quality issues for new development and existing products (e.g. label adhesion, leakage, etc).
- Brand Marketing and Product Development
- New Product Development (Project Management)
- Supply Chain Team (Demand Planning, New Product, Shiseido TSA team support)
- Scientific (R&D)
- Manufacturing (Internal and External)
- Distribution Center
- Component and packaging suppliers
KPIs & Metrics:
- Projects delivered on time in full for first production (new products and on market changes)
- $ of value creation and year over year improvement (value engineering)
- % of turnkey on shelf packaging vs. customized
- 3-6 years of relevant experience
- PE certification is not required but is a plus
- Basic knowledge of molding processes, resins and package testing methods
- Basic knowledge with CAD software and 3D printing
- Some level of judgment required in assessing Marketing briefs, clarity of Packaging definition and providing recommendations to lower risks while achieving the Marketing concept
- Understanding of the total Product Development process, Manufacturing execution, Supplier process, Marketing and Computer Applications
- The engineer must have the ability to adapt to fast-changing environments. The position will require an individual to have the willingness to take risks and to consider new approaches to improve the organization's competitive position.
- Some degree of analytical, financial and organization skills required
- Must be PC literate and competent with Microsoft Office applications (especially Excel functionalities)
- Responsible for initiating and resolving queries from other functions in a timely manner and communicating, escalating issues when appropriate
- Aware of cross function and regional impact of decisions
- Appreciates importance of on-time and quality delivery of projects to business partners
- Ability to network, work in teams and network
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (verbal, written, good listening skills, providing support with trust, respect and transparency)
- Entrepreneurial spirit: taking initiative and drive clarity and resolution
- Attention to details for many aspects of the Packaging role (ie. Bill of Material, Artwork validation, Packaging data review & analysis)
- Drive projects with full ownership, and hold accountability on team members to ensure all steps of the timeline are met
- Ability to read and understand a 2D and 3D technical drawing
- Problem Solving: ability to predict, recognize and define meaningful corrective actions to problems
- BS+ degree in Package Engineering or another Engineering discipline (mechanical, material science)
In accordance with the Pay Transparency requirements, the following represents a good faith estimate of the compensation range for this position.
At Orveon Global, we carefully consider a wide range of non-discriminatory factors when determining salary. Actual salaries will vary depending on factors including but not limited to location, education, experience, and qualifications.
The pay range for this position is $72,000-$114,000
The range listed is just one component of Orveon’s total compensation package for employees. For full time positions other benefits include competitive bonuses, a generous Paid Time Off policy, Medical Benefits, Parental Leave, 401K, Gratis, Hybrid Working Environment, Summer Fridays, and Employee Discounts.
Equal Opportunities and Accommodations
Orveon is deeply committed to building a workplace and global community where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We strive to build and nurture a culture where a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion is instinctive. Our deep sense of passion and pride in what we do, both as individuals and as a collective, unifies our shared commitment to “changing beauty for the better." Therefore, all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, family status, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, neurodiversity, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other non-merit based or legally protected grounds. We recognize and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds and know they create a more robust and creative work environment.